Perfumer Hans Hendley Perfumes has created a marvellous set of perfumes – none of them feels out of place, it’s like a small box of crayons with very carefully selected colours that are not simple primaries. All smell sophisticated and polished. They never ever give me a WTF moment but they make me think a bit for they all give respect to existing perfume genres with his own style infused. Peacefully positioned in the grey zone of classic French perfumes and indie perfumes.
Here are my impressions (there’s no Fragrantica.com cheat sheet available, so the notes could be wrong.)
- Auric: Resinous with hints of chocolate? A meditative scent with smells of incense…
- Bourbon: The only thing simple about this perfume is its name. Yes, there’s bourbon, but there’s also leather, incense and herbs. The smell of a gentlemen’s club, or the smell of a luxury goods shop.
- Fume: Leathery, herbaceous and smoky. Also slightly sweet, maybe from immortelle flower? I feel like it’s perfect for Chris Pratt of Jurassic World. Manly but also a sweet guy.
- Jade: Opens with fresh citrus and mint, it starts off green and watery, and evolves into a beautiful creamy floral. First time smelling a perfume like this.
- Gia: Unisex, abstract, with hints of citrus, earthy notes and ancient resins, mysterious and somehow it’s also fizzy, maybe there’s aldehyde in it.
- Rosenthal: A oriental rose that doesn’t bury the bouquet with shovels of spice. Reminiscent of some vintage French perfumes, it’s calm, resinous, but never a show-off.